As shows come back from the holiday break, other shows have their season premieres and series premieres… but most of them bow next week. So this week, we get to riff on some interesting topics:
- We talked about the Winter TCA tour, which is going on as we speak in Pasadena. As usual, we talk about how useful it’s been, what news has come out of it, how publications are utilizing it now and whether Joel really misses going or not (he does, but not for the reasons you think) (04:00 – 20:00),
- The tour did bring us more details about the return of Arrested Development on Netflix, and we talk about those new details and how much we’re enjoying the old episodes as we re-watch them in anticipation (20:00 – 37:15),
- One of the overarching topics at the TCAs was violence on network TV, especially the content in FOX’s upcoming thriller The Following. We talk about the strawman arguments people are making about this, why it’s all a bunch of BS, and why broadcast networks like FOX need to start taking chances in a world where The Walking Dead gets 10 million viewers (37:15 – 1:03:00),
- We then talk about Jimmy Kimmel Live moving to 11:35, why ABC made the right move, what he offers that Letterman and Leno don’t these days, and why he’s in a much better position to do this now than he was even five years ago (1:03:00 – 1:20:30),
- Finally, we briefly talk about the week’s returning shows — Bunheads, Cougar Town and Justified — and then talk about how Brent Mussburger got all hot and bothered when he saw a pretty lady at the BCS Championship game (1:20:30 – 1:30:06).
You can listen to the podcast above (if you don’t hear anything, fiddle with the volume slider), download it via this link, subscribe to our RSS feed, or subscribe via iTunes. You can also find us on the Stitcher radio app for smartphones and iPads.
By the way, the bumper music is “Trevor Trailer Trash” from the late, great band Cropduster.