Happy 2013! We recorded the podcast on Jan. 2 because we just couldn’t wait to yap about… well…. Let’s say this was a very esoteric podcast:
- We talked about the the New Year’s Eve shows — no Dick Clark, Kathy Griffin “going down” on Anderson Cooper, etc. — and about what we miss now that the big bowl games are no longer on New Year’s Day (00:00 – 17:15),
- Then we talk briefly about TV’s overhyping of the “fiscal cliff” (17:15 – 23:15),
- We then talk at length about the upcoming season of Arrested Development: how Mitch Hurwitz keeps adding episodes, how there’s no definite air date yet, how people are going to handle the show being dropped in their laps all at once via Netflix, and if we think the show will expect people to remember the old episodes, even though the show left the air seven years ago (23:15 – 47:50),
- Then we talk about the trap websites fall into when they trot out the same dozen critics for their year-end “critics’ polls,” something that seems to be a relatively recent phenomenon (47:50 – 1:07:05),
- Finally, we preview the shows that will be debuting and returning over the next couple of months. We talk about the shows we’re most looking forward to (Community, Girls, etc.), what shows are likely duds (anything on the broadcast networks) and more (1:07:05 – 1:39:41).
You can listen to the podcast above (if you don’t hear anything, fiddle with the volume slider), download it via this link, subscribe to our RSS feed, or subscribe via iTunes. You can also find us on the Stitcher radio app for smartphones and iPads.
By the way, the bumper music is “Trevor Trailer Trash” from the late, great band Cropduster.