A surprisingly busy week in the world of TV was overshadowed by the shootings in Newtown, CT, and that’s where we turn our attention to first:
- We talk about how, even though the TV news media was relatively restrained in Newtown, they were still very intrusive, especially when they talked to kids. We also talked about why everyone got the details so wrong at first (02:00 – 19:45),
- We then talk about the season 2 finale of Homeland. Jason wasn’t a fan, and Joel was left scratching his head and wondering whether the show is now going to be a merely good espionage show instead of the great character study it was in its first season (19:45 – 42:15),
- Then we talk about the third season finale of The Voice, and why it seemed that the winner seemed to be preordained (not rigged, mind you, but not a surprise). We talk about why that person won, what’s in store for some of the other contestants, and what the show might be like with Shakira and Usher as coaches (42:15 – 1:04:45),
- We then talk briefly about how 2 Broke Girls is finally putting the girls in a cupcake shop, and if this makes the show any more interesting to watch, despite the dumb and nasty jokes. We also have a sidebar about how women on TV shows seem to get bone skinny in their second seasons (1:04:45 – 1:13:00),
- Then we talk about the way How I Met Your Mother handled the Barney/Robin engagement, and how it kinda sucks that they still don’t know whether this is going to be the last season or not (1:13:00 – 1:22:25),
- Finally, we go over the Golden Globe nominations for TV, wonder why The Newsroom is there and Mad Men isn’t, and why Smash is a musical or comedy but Nashville is a drama, among other mysteries (1:22:25 – 1:41:08).
You can listen to the podcast above (if you don’t hear anything, fiddle with the volume slider), download it via this link, subscribe to our RSS feed, or subscribe via iTunes. You can also find us on the Stitcher radio app for smartphones and iPads.
By the way, the bumper music is “Trevor Trailer Trash” from the late, great band Cropduster.
Latest posts by Joel Keller (see all)
- Why ‘The Blacklist’ Needs More Than James Spader to Be a Top-Notch Thriller - December 3, 2013
- AFT #113: ‘Doctor Who’, ‘Walking Dead’, ‘HIMYM’, TV Deaths, Lucy Liu’s Boots and More - November 29, 2013
- Terry Crews on ‘Brooklyn Nine-Nine’, NFL Bullying and Being a ‘That Guy’ - November 27, 2013