It’s busy time, as we’re not only talking about all the new and returning shows, but baseball is in pennant race/postseason time, so Joel was understandably distracted while recording this week’s podcast:
- We start the podcast by talking about the shows that are doomed already — Partners, The Mob Doctor — along with the three shows NBC already picked up for a full season — Revolution, Go On and The New Normal (00:00 – 16:25)
- We then talk about the selection of Seth MacFarlane as the host of the next Oscars, and reasons why he may be a good choice… and a bad choice. (16:25 – 25:30),
- Then we talked the premieres of most of the FOX Tuesday comedies (Raising Hope didn’t bow until this week), why New Girl is poised to get big and how Mindy Kaling did as a romantic lead in The Mindy Project (25:30 – 41:00),
- We then talk about the start of ABC’s vaunted Wednesday comedy lineup, including how The Middle isn’t underappreciated anymore, Modern Family made us remember how funny it was and why The Neighbors might just make it (yes, it’s time for yet another “critics are snobs” rant) (41:00 – 1:00:00),
- Then the conversation turns to CBS’s two new dramas, Vegas and Elementary, and how the CBS procedural stamp works fine for one (though is a bit heavy-handed), but might ruin the other (1:00:00 – 1:11:25),
- Then we talk about the departure of Doctor Who’s latest companions, Rory and Amy (1:11:25 – 1:17:15),
- We talk about the seventh season premiere of Dexter; Jason thinks the show might have actually gotten revitalized this year (1:17:15 – 1:22:25),
- We talk about the season finale of Louie, and how Jason actually came around to liking the show. Joel hit upon the notion that we’re now watching the new Woody Allen, only this time it’s doled out in 30-minute increments (1:22:25 – 1:32:50),
- Finally, we talk about the season premiere of Homeland, and wonder how long the show’s current excellence — and storyline — can be maintained (1:32:50 – 1:56:36).
You can listen to the podcast above (if you don’t hear anything, fiddle with the volume slider), download it via this link, subscribe to our RSS feed, or subscribe via iTunes. You can also find us on the Stitcher radio app for smartphones and iPads.
By the way, the bumper music is “Trevor Trailer Trash” from the late, great band Cropduster.
Latest posts by Joel Keller (see all)
- AFT #114: ‘The Walking Dead’, ‘The Blacklist’, ABC Sitcom Shenangians, ‘Homeland’ and More - December 5, 2013
- Why ‘The Blacklist’ Needs More Than James Spader to Be a Top-Notch Thriller - December 3, 2013
- AFT #113: ‘Doctor Who’, ‘Walking Dead’, ‘HIMYM’, TV Deaths, Lucy Liu’s Boots and More - November 29, 2013